Jack Childers, LPC
217 S. Duke Street | PO Box 69 | Shepherdstown, WV 25443 | 304.671.1356 | [email protected]
- Private Practice: Independent private practice physically located in Shepherdstown, WV serving adults and couples who are located in Virginia and West Virginia.
- Private Practice: Independent practice serving adult individuals and couples, downtown Leesburg, VA. January 2010 to March 2020.
- Private Practice: Riverside Counseling, Leesburg, VA. January 2004 to December 2009. Provide counseling services to individuals and couples.
- Private Practice: Cascades Counseling, Sterling, VA. 2/03 – 12/03. Provided counseling services to individuals, couples and families.
- Loudoun County Mental Health, Leesburg, VA: Forensic Psychology Department. 7/2001 – 12/2001. Supervisor: Dr. Michael Deem. Provided mental health evaluations and counseling to the county adult detention center.
- Loudoun County Mental Health, Leesburg, VA: Emergency Mental Health Therapist. 2/2000 – 6/2003. Supervisor: Deborah Snyder. Provided emergency mental health counseling and evaluations and ongoing counseling.
- Northwestern Community Services, Winchester, VA: Crisis Services Therapist. 9/1998-2/2000. Supervisor: Dennis Vaughn. Provided emergency mental health counseling and evaluations and ongoing counseling.
- Northwestern Community Services, Winchester, VA: Substance Abuse Therapist. 9/1997-9/1998. Supervisor: Vickie Kilbourne. Provided individual, family and group counseling to adults and adolescents. Developed and implemented a motivational enhancement therapy group for treatment resistant clients.
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Division of Psychiatry, Behavioral Pharmacological Research Unit, Baltimore, MD: Psychometrician II. 1994-1997. Provided psychotherapy to antisocial substance abuse clients. Provided complete DSM-IV diagnostic assessments. Trained research interviewers in psychiatric diagnosing.
- Keypoint, Inc., Baltimore, MD: 1990-1994. Residential counselor for seriously mentally ill clients.
- Postgraduate work in counseling, 2000 to 2001. Goddard College, Plainfield, VT.
- M. A. in Clinical Psychology, 1993. Loyola College, Baltimore, MD. Teacher’s assistant for four semesters in Psychodiagnostics II: The Rorschach. Tutored professor-referred graduate and undergraduate students in research methodology.
- B.A. in English Literature, 1983. Roanoke College, Salem, VA.
- Emotional Divorce: Ever Changing River, Sterling, VA, February 12, 2011.
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples: Northern Virginia Professional Counselors, Sterling, VA, March 26, 2010.
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing: Loudoun County Mental Health, Leesburg, VA, June 15, 2004.
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing: Goddard College, Plainfield, VT, January 2004.
Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Professional Counselor: Commonwealth of Virginia. License #0701003420.
- Licensed Professional Counselor: State of West Virginia. License #1686.
- Certified Emotionally Focused Couples Therapist. Ottawa Couples and Family Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Member, American Counseling Association.
- Member, Northern Virginia Licensed Professional Counselors.
- Member, International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy.
- Lead Ethics Investigator, West Virginia Board of Examiners in Counseling, 2021 to present.
- Prelicensure Support Chairperson. 2012 to 2013.
- Membership Chairperson, Northern Virginia Licensed Professional Counselors, 2004 to 2007.
- NVLPC newsletter. November 2004 to present. Monthly column, “Reflections.” Recent columns: www.counselorsnvlpc.org/html/newsletters.html.